This draft is available for Maintenance Review as per
of the Java Community Process, version 2.6.
The following changes to the Java Virtual Machine Specification, Second Edition are planned for Java SE 5.0:
Send comments to the Maintenance Lead directly:
- The Structure of the Java Virtual Machine (Chapter 3) - Changes to this chapter are given in revisions to "The Structure of the Java Virtual Machine" (422k PDF).
- The class File Format (Chapter 4) - The class file format will undergo minor modifications to support changes mandated by JSR 14, JSR 45, JSR 175 and JSR 201, as well as minor corrections and adjustments. These changes are given in revisions to "The class File Format" (494k PDF). Changes covered by JSRs 14, 175, and 201 are denoted by change bars and colored text.
- Loading, Linking and Initializing (Chapter 5) - Changes to this chapter are given in revisions to "Loading, Linking and Initializing" (234k PDF).
- Instruction Set (Chapter 6) - The ldc instruction is generalized to support references to classes, in order to make class literals more efficient. The putfield and putstatic instructions have slight modifications as a result of JSR 133. The changes to the specification are given in revisions to "The Java Virtual Machine Instruction Set" (1954k PDF).
- Memory Model (Chapter 8) - JSR 133 has changed the memory model. Chapter 8 of the Java Virtual Machine Specification, Second Edition is superseded by JSR 133. See chapter 17 of the Java Language Specification, Third Edition for details.