Write a JSR |
Submit a JSR |
JSR Review |
EG formation |
Early Draft Review |
Public Review |
Proposed Final Draft |
Final Ballot |
Spec Lead Guide
Public Review is the first stage in the JSR process where press releases are allowed. Until the Public Review Stage is reached the JSR access is only open to JCP members. Please consult the JCP PR and Communication Guidelines.
Once you and your EG are ready to post your draft specification for Public Review, you submit all materials as detailed below to the PMO (email@example.com) via e-mail with the JSR number and "Public Review Draft" in the subject line.
The PMO will host your draft and provide the export classification and spec license for you. If you wish to have the spec license text to embed in your spec document, please send item #7, below, to
firstname.lastname@example.org beforehand. The license should be provided within 2 business days of receipt.
Turnaround time: With any public posting of a spec to jcp.org, the PMO will post the spec and related materials within 5 business days of receiving all the above materials at email@example.com. You may check the status of your Public Review submission on the JCP JIRA page, wherre issues are filed for each JSR milestone submission.
- The Spec, in pdf or zip format (be aware that Javadoc files must be zipped). The PMO will provide a standard evaluation license unless you choose to provide your own.
Please note: Any drafts posted for review must remain on the site as a record of the spec's development and will not be removed.
- the length of the Review. If you do not specify a length, it will default to the normal 30 day minimum. During the review you can request to extend the length of the review by sending mail to firstname.lastname@example.org at least two days before the scheduled end date (90 days is
- The answer to the following questions, submitted separately for each file you are posting (.zip archives should be considered one file).
A. Does the specification include software codes
in the following format:
Binary : Yes _______ No __________
Source (compilable) : Yes _______ No __________
Javadocs : Yes _______ No __________
B. Do the codes or the spec call on, contain, use
or demonstrate encryption technology?
Yes _________ No ________
If yes, please describe in detail
- Either confirmation that the full license text you provided at Community Review or Early Draft Review for the Final Release spec, RI and TCK are unchanged, or the new license texts if they have changed from what was provided with previous review(s).
- An anticipated date when the PMO will receive the Proposed Final Draft specification
- The version number of the specific specification document you are submitting, the anticipated release date, and the full corporate name and address of the Spec Lead Member. This will be used to produce the evaluation license for the posting. If you would like to include this in your download bundle, please send this information to email@example.com at least 2 business days before the rest of your materials.
You may choose to have more than one Public Review.
Updating the materials during the review: You may receive good comments and suggestions during the Public Review (PR) that you wish to incorporate into the Spec. You and the EG may revise the Specification. In the case of major revisions to the draft that you want posted during the Public Review you should send the revised draft, along with a synopsis of the changes, to the PMO (firstname.lastname@example.org). This can be done at any time up until 3 days before the close of the review. After that deadline, you may only post updates to the review materials if you first extend the length of the review, or start another Public Review after the current one ends.
If you provide an updated draft, the PMO will notify Members of the updates and any change synopses received via the usual communications mechanisms, and make the revisions available for download.
The PMO welcomes suggestions and requests from the Spec Leads for improvements of this guide and the process: email@example.com