Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
Total attendance: 24 of 25 voting members
Since 75% of the EC's voting members were present, the EC was quorate for this meeting.
The EC Standing Rules state the following penalties for non-attendance at EC meetings (note that those who participate in face-to-face meetings by phone are officially counted as absent):
There were no changes in voting status as a result of this meeting.
Tim Ellison is the new alternate for IBM. Gary Field and James Turck are new alternates for Credit Suisse. Vladimir Pavlov is new alternate for SAP. Gabriel Roisenberg is no longer an alternate for V2COM.
Heather skipped the formal presentation of the EC stats (see the presentation for details). Heather reminded EC Members to vote on open ballots.
Heather reminded EC Members of the 2017 EC Elections.
Heather presented the final dates and locations for the 2018 face to face locations and dates (see the presentation for details).
Heather reviewed plans for JavaOne - more details coming next month (see the presentation for details).
Heather and Leonardo presented an update on the Java ME Working Group; they will present at the Eclipse IoT Working Group on August 16. Summaries are published on the EC Community page. We will meet again August 30 to debrief on the meeting.
Heather reported that the OpenJDK Working Group met on August 8. The summary is published on the EC Community page. Brian summarized the meeting for the larger EC; he reiterated the desire of OpenJDK to move faster - they would like to move to a 6 month release cadence with releases in March and September with the next release of Java SE in early 2018. Volker asked why we want more frequent Java releases, stating concern for long term support of Java. Steve suggested that support is an important point, but not relevant to JCP discussion, Brian reviewed the plan in the short term of the next release of Java to streamline stages and provide continuous delivery of specification work-in-progress. Simon asked about research on the decision to evolve Java more rapidly. Georges explained that there have been many discussions in the community, and in order to stay relevant and moving forward to meet needs of the community, we need to be able to adjust to changes of direction and where things are going. Amelia asked about conducting surveys. Heather pointed out that Brian frequently conducts polls and surveys. We should promote and communicate them as they occur. Brian concurred that these have been valuable tools for input with thousands of replies. Mike DeNicola expressed concerns about ensuring the quality of the releases. Brian stated that the quality will be ensured through the specification process for vetting them, and revamping the deprecation process in Java SE 9. Oracle plans to file the Java 10 JSR in September, or as soon as practical, and have a December freeze date for the release. The OpenJDK Working Group will bring the discussions thus far into the JCP.Next Working Group. Separate meetings can resume again if needed.
Heather reported that the JCP.Next Working Group met on July 25. The summary is published on the EC Community page. Heather summarized that in the last meeting we agreed that most of the changes for discussion could be considered as part of a Maintenance Release of the current version of the JCP program process document. These changes would be released before the end of 2017 and the group can continue to work toward more substantiate changes in the coming months. The JCP.Next Working Group will meet again August 29 to continue working on the proposed Maintenance Review content.
David presented the proposal for a Configuration JSR (see presentation for details). Werner asked about whether Eclipse or IBM would lead the JSR and if it was even possible for Eclipse Foundation to lead a JSR. Heather explained that as a Full Member, Eclipse Foundation can lead a JSR; and that individuals will need to register and associate members with their account. Mike Millinkovich is working on this with the Program Office on this and other items to complete the JSR submission.
Heather reviewed a proposal to resume JCP EC Communications (see the presentation for details). Tomitribe, Goldman Sachs, Werner, and Ivar are interested in discussing further. Heather will initiate a poll to decide on a time to meet the week of September 4.