Find JSRs
Submit this Search

Ad Banner

JCP EC Minutes: March 14, 2017

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
for March 14, 2017

Date and Time

    March 14, 8:00 - 10:00 am






  • Heather VanCura
Executive Committee

  • Azul Systems - Matt Schuetze - present
  • Credit Suisse - Scott James - present
  • Eclipse - Wayne Beaton - present
  • Fujitsu - Kenji Kazumura, Mike DeNicola - present
  • Gemalto - Thomas Lampart - present
  • Goldman Sachs - Tim Dinsdale, Jackie Haynes - present
  • Ivar Grimstad - present
  • Hazelcast - Chris Engelbert - present
  • HPE - Sujoy Saraswati - present
  • IBM - Steve Wallin, Steve Wolfe - present
  • Intel - Michael Berg - present
  • Werner Keil - present
  • London Java Community - Ben Evans - present
  • MicroDoc - Hendrik Hoefer - present
  • NXP - Maulin Patel - present
  • Oracle - Anish Karmarkar, Calinel Pasteanu - present
  • Red Hat - Scott Stark - present
  • SAP - Volker Simonis - present
  • Software AG - Prasad Yendluri, Chris Dennis - present
  • SouJava - Bruno Souza, Otavio Santana - present
  • Tomitribe - David Blevins, Amelia Eiras - present
  • Twitter - Tony Printezis - present
  • V2COM - Leonardo Lima - present

Total attendance: 23 of 23 voting members

Since 75% of the EC's voting members were present, the EC was quorate for this meeting.


The EC Standing Rules state the following penalties for non-attendance at EC meetings (note that those who participate in face-to-face meetings by phone are officially counted as absent):

  • Missing two meetings in a row results in a loss of voting privileges until two consecutive meetings have been attended.

  • Missing five meetings in a row, or missing two-thirds of the meetings in any consecutive 12-month period results in loss of the EC seat.

Since Intel attended the February and March meetings they regain their voting privileges as a result of attending this meeting.

Personnel changes

Vinay Awasthi is an additional alternate for Intel.

EC stats

Heather presented the usual EC stats (see the presentation for details).


Heather presented the latest membership report, noting that we will be focusing on confirming and migrating current JCP Full Members who are Individuals in the coming quarter. See the PMO Presentation for details.

Special Election

Heather presented the proposed dates of the EC Special Election to be held starting in April to fill two ratified seats. Candidates will be announced shortly. Heather asked if we should push the effective date to the week after our JCP EC Face to Face meeting on May 8, on May 15; and, the EC concurred. See the PMO Presentation and the Election page for details.

Java ME

Heather and Leonardo presented an update on the Java ME Working Group. Summaries are published on the EC project page. We will meet again tomorrow to refine the current proposal covering both technical and non-technical requirements to continue evolving Java ME. This item is to be discussed with Georges Saab and the rest of the EC at the May JCP EC meeting.

OpenJDK and the JCP

Heather reported that the OpenJDK Working Group met on 17 February. See the summary published on the EC project page. Ben pointed out that there has also been some discussion on the Adoption list that may be relevant. Heather suggested that Ben attend the next meeting and also asked Ben to provide an update on the Adoption groups at the April EC meeting. The OpenJDK Working Group will meet again on 17 March.


Heather reported that the JCP.Next Working Group met on 28 February. See the summary published on the EC project page. David asked if the TCK Community License was on the discussion list and Heather confirmed that it is on the list of proposed changes. The JCP.Next Working Group will meet again on 28 March.

Quality Outreach on JDK 9

Rory O'Donnell, Quality Engineering Manager at Oracle presented an update on the OpenJDK Quality Outreach program. See the presentation slides. You can subscribe to the list or contact Rory if there are additional projects you would like to add (see slides for details). The Quality Outreach Program has more details. Ben asked about tracking adoption and volunteered to take an action item to the adoption group to see the use of modules in GitHub repositories. Chris Dennis commented about the difficulty with Gradle. Rory commented that Gradle should be in better shape in April based on feedback received.

Visual Recognition JSR Proposal

Frank Greco and Zoran Severac presented their proposal for a Visual Recognition JSR. Supporters include IBM, Oracle, Google, Pivotal. See the presentation slides for more details. Scott asked whether the JSR will address an SPI for different machine learning implementations. The goal is to get some expertise in visual recognition and it can then be expanded into more generic and different application domains. There is competition with other languages - hard to integrate and without a standard, it is hard to keep up. Ben commented that is was good to constrain the discussion around visual recognition rather then general machine learning. Werner asked about JavaFx and age of existing image libraries. Chris Dennis commented about abstraction over input and output - we should just abstract that most important ones. Feedback can be sent to the discussion forum. Frank and Zoran thanked the EC, supporters and Heather for their feedback and suggestions. They will prepare to submit the JSR for review this month.

Other business

Heather reminded EC members that the face-to-face meeting is in Austin, Texas, on May 8-9.

Next meeting

April 4, 2017, 8:00 - 10:00 am PDT (teleconference)