Find JSRs
Submit this Search

Ad Banner

JCP EC minutes: March 1 2016

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
for March 1 2016

version 0.2: April 3 2016


March 1 2016





  • Patrick Curran
  • Heather Vancura
Executive Committee
  • ARM – Paul Manfrini present
  • Azul Systems – Matt Schuetze – present
  • Credit Suisse – Alex Blewitt – present
  • Eclipse – Mike Milinkovich – present
  • Ericsson – Christer Boberg – present
  • Fujitsu – Kenji Kazumura, Mike DeNicola – present
  • Gemalto M2MThomas Lampart – present
  • Goldman Sachs – Mike Marzo – present
  • Hazelcast – Jaromir Hamala – present
  • HPE – Sriranga Nadiger –present
  • IBM – Steve Wallin, Steve Wolfe – present (plus Steve Wolfe by phone)
  • Intel – Michael Berg – present
  • Werner Keil – present
  • London Java Community – James Gough – present
  • Geir Magnusson – present
  • MicroDoc – Hendrik Hoefer – present
  • NXP – Maulin Patel – present
  • Oracle – Don Deutsch, Calinel Pasteanu, Anish Karmarkar– present
  • RedHat – Scott Stark – present
  • SAP – Sanjay Patil, Volker Simonis – present
  • Software AG – Prsaad Yendluri – present
  • SouJava – Otavio Santana – present
  • TOTVS – Hernan Perrone – present
  • Twitter – Tony Printezis – present
  • V2COM – Leonardo Lima – present

Total attendance: 23 of 23 voting members

Since 75% of the EC's 23 voting members were present, the EC was quorate for this session


Changes in status as a result of attendance at this meeting

The EC Standing Rules state the following penalties for non-attendance at EC meetings (note that those who participate in face-to-face meetings by phone are officially counted as absent):

  • Missing two meetings in a row results in a loss of voting privileges until two consecutive meetings have been attended.
  • Missing five meetings in a row, or missing two-thirds of the meetings in any consecutive 12-month period results in loss of the EC seat.

Since all members attended this meeting there was no change in voting privileges. Ericsson and SAP will regain their voting rights if they attend the next meeting.

Low attendance at the Brazil face-to-face meeting

As we agreed in Brazil, we briefly discussed the very low attendance at that meeting. Patrick asked each of the members who were absent from that meeting what the reason was. The reasons varied, from difficulties in getting a visa to last-minute business conflicts, but nobody reported that they did not attend because the meeting was held in Brazil.

Action Item review

See the JIRA.

EC stats

Heather VanCura presented the usual EC stats (see the presentation for details). We discussed JSR 377, which passed its JSR Renewal Ballot but with a significant number of no votes and abstentions. Patrick asked whether the London Java Community would be willing to talk to Andres about the concerns EC members had addressed. James Gough agreed to do so by first drawing up a list of concerns, then circulating it to the EC for comments before talking to Andres.

JSR 364 implementation plan

Heather VanCura walked EC members through the pages on that will be modified to deal with the new membership classes introduced with JSR 364, and discussed the implementation plan. (See the PMO presentation for details.)

Patrick pointed out that just as we will be tracking individual members and transitioning most of them to the new Associate Member class we will also need to transition the majority of Java User Group members to the new Partner Member class. Heather agreed that the PMO would do so.

Don Deutsch asked whether we will still be able to accept manual signatures after we implement electronic signing of agreements. Heather responded that we will.

We agreed to hold one more Working Group meeting to talk about how we will promote the new membership changes, and to draw up a check-list to verify that we correctly and fully implement the new process requirements.

JSR 358 update

For the benefit of EC members who were not present in Rio we reviewed the JSR 358 discussion we held at that meeting. Mike DeNicola proposed a motion that JSR 358 be withdrawn. Mike Milinkovich seconded the motion.

Mike DeNicola argued that leaving the JSR open would be misleading since the JSR explicitly states that its intent is to change the JSPA and we will now not be able to do so. He suggested that instead we open a new JSR to deal with changes that will not require modifying the JSPA or changing licensing terms.

Patrick clarified that we have three options:

  1. Do nothing, leaving the JSR "apparently open".
  2. Publicly suspend work on the JSR by declaring it Dormant.
  3. Withdrawing it (whereby the PMO would close it).

While discussing the Dormant state we agreed to consider for introducing a requirement to hold a JSR Renewal Ballot when a Spec Lead wishes to "revive" a previously-Dormant JSR.

After some discussion of the relative merits of withdrawing versus dormancy we proceeded to a vote on the original motion. Members voted unanimously to withdraw the JSR. Patrick therefore agreed to work with the PMO to do so. He also agreed to draft a proposal for the JSR.

We agreed that we would need to discuss how to publicize the decision to close JSR 358 at a future meeting.