Find JSRs
Submit this Search

Ad Banner

JCP EC AIs: August 2013

Executive Committee Action Items
August 13 2013

Action Items

Current AIs

  • May 2013-02: Patrick to incorporate a market/competition review slide into the JSR Review Process presentation.
  • April 2013-04: Ben Evans, Martijn Verburg, Bruno Souza to investigate publishing formal metrics indicating what JUGs have actually achieved through the Adopt-a-JSR program.
    • May 15 2013: A new tool (BetterRev) is being worked on that should help with some of the data.
    • June 11 2013: There's a new Success Stories page on the Wiki where this kind of information is being reported. Ben and Martejn will provide an update at the f2f meeting in September.
    • July 9 2013: Martijn will try to track down JUG leaders who have worked on Java EE JSRs for more info.
    • August 13 2013: Martijn reported that he, Arun Gupta, and Heather Vancura have put together a contact list of the JUG leaders that are involved in Adopt a JSR. They will ask these leaders for data between now and JavaOne. He also reported that about 40 major Java open source projects are now being regularly tested against the Java 8 betas and approximately 20 issues were found and fixed as a result (primarily in the open source projects, but one or two in OpenJDK itself as well).

Closed AIs

  • June 2013-01: Patrick to invite Jim Wright (Oracle’s Open Source Policy and Strategy Officer) to attend an IP Working Group meeting and explain his concerns about incorporating material licensed under the EPL into the platform.
    • July 9 2013: Jim is scheduled to attend the IP Working Group meeting on July 11.
  • May 2013-01: Patrick to re-start the JSR 358 IP Working Group meetings after polling for a new time.
  • May 2013-03: Patrick to report EC members' concerns about the Contributor Agreement proposal to Oracle Legal.
  • April 2013-01: Patrick Curran to post on a document explaining exactly when voting rights are lost and regained.
  • April 2013-02: Patrick Curran to talk to Yolande Poirier about translating Adopt-a-JSR website material into French.
    • April 29 2013: Heather Vancura met with Yolande at JavaOne in Moscow. We will follow up with her.
    • May 22 2013: In progress.
    • June 11 2013: we held a phone conference a couple of weeks ago - 20 participants. Have translated the top-level Adopt webpage into French. Also have a Spanish page up. Working on German, Chinese, and Arabic. Going very well! Will report back at the July meeting.
  • April 2013-03: Heather Vancura to investigate publishing on the reasons why JSRs are dormant.
    • June 11 2013: In progress.
    • July 9 2013: DONE.
  • April 2013-05: Heather Vancura to schedule a review of JSR 907 for the Zurich meeting.
    • April 29 2013: On the agenda.
  • April 2013-06: Heather Vancura to schedule a meeting of the JSR Review Working Group.
    • April 29 2013: Done. A presentation was made at the Zurich f2f meeting.
  • March 2013-01: Bruno Souza to recruit members for a Working Group on individual membership.
    • April 9 2013: The Working Group is working. Bruno and Heather reported on its progress. See the meeting minutes for details.
  • February 2013-01: Ed Lynch to circulate the spreadsheet containing the JSR data discussed in his ecosystem presentation.
    • The minutes of the February meeting have been updated with links to the spreadsheet (which can be found here.)
  • February 2013-02: Gil Tene to present his IP proposals to the IP Working Group.
    • Mar 12 2013: Gil expressed some opinions during the JSR 358 portion of the March meeting.
  • February 2013-03: Scott Stark to present his IP proposals to the IP Working Group.
  • January 2013-01: Patrick Curran and Ben Evans to work on a JUG/JCP Summit or Adopt-a-JSR event for French-speaking JUGs.
    • Apr 9 2013: Patrick reported on the (lack of) progress. See the meeting minutes for details.
    • Apr 29 2013: We're still working on it.
    • May 22 2013: A teleconference has been scheduled for May 31.
    • June 11 2013: Done - see AI April 2013-02.
  • January 2013-02: Ed Lynch to lead a discussion on the Spec Lead imbalance at the February EC meeting.
  • January 2013-03: Don Deutsch and Patrick Curran to talk to Oracle Legal and Execs about standardized licenses.
  • January 2013-04: Steve Wolfe, Scott Jameson and Mike Milinkovich to develop a proposal on Essential Patents.
    • Feb 12 2013: They have met and developed a proposal. They are prefer to wait until Oracle has responded to the licensing proposals before circulating this.
    • May 15 2013: Mike Milinkovich has circulated the proposal to the EC mailing list.
  • January 2013-05: Bruno Souza to produce a summary document and proposal for alternate forms of individual membership.
    • Mar 12 2013: Bruno presented some data.
  • January 2013-06: Mike Milinkovich, Patrick Curran and Heather Vancura to derive a JCP-specific template from the Eclipse Project Review Template.
    • Mar 12 2013: The first phone conference took place on March 12.